November 24, 2017

B’nai B’rith torah available to the community

B’NAI B’RITH DENVER MAKES RESCUED TORAH AVAILABLE

For the past several years, B’nai B’rith Denver has been lending out its Torah to the community for bar and bat mitzvahs, and other special events.

B’nai B’rith purchased the Torah in 2011, and had it fully restored and re-koshered by Rabbi Moshe Druin, “Sofer On Site,” from North Miami Beach, Florida.

The Torah was re-dedicated at the historic Temple Israel in Leadville, Colorado. The dedication took place on Saturday, June 25, 2011, at shabbat services during B’nai B’rith’s 15th annual Leadville Cemetery Mitzvah weekend. Four rabbis officiated at this joyous event: Rabbi Debra Rappaport (B’nai Vail Congregation); Rabbi Joel Schwartzman (Synagogue of the Summit); Rabbi David Segal (Aspen Jewish Congregation); and Rabbi Birdie Becker (Temple Emanuel, Pueblo).

Since that day, we have been contacted by those in need of a Torah for ceremonies in Denver, and many wide-ranging locations. In fact, the Torah has traveled as far as Cody, Wyoming for a bar mitzvah in 2012!

The Torah has its origin in Poland, and dates back to approximately 1921. How it came to be in the United States, or when, remains a mystery. The most we have been able to determine is that it was in the hands of a Chicago rabbi before making its way to Denver. Regardless of the path it has taken, B’nai B’rith Denver is proud to have given this Sefer Torah a new home and a new life.

For information about using the Torah, please contact the Denver B’nai B’rith office at 303-393-7358, or B’nai B’rith president, Bill Berger, 720-988-0754.